суббота, 12 ноября 2011 г.

Comment week 7

Hi!
This week is very productive for me.
Firstly I have learnt many readings about One Computer Classroom that give outstanding strategies for involving students in such condition.
Secondly mostly I want to point out from 7 Categories of Classroom Computer how to Use precisely Issues, the specific topic - Software. It is written in "Week 7 Discussion: One Computer Options". I was amazingly surprised by Roger Wagner's HyperStudio5. I listen to 2 girls of 6th grade about the layers of the Earth. I think it's not only cognitive task but motivating one. Because students learn to create their own podcasts that have more practical achievements. When students do it in their way the significance of their knowledge is doubled.
Then I create one more interactive PPP with Webquest on theme "Gladiators" with 
slides about definitions and history of gladiators. Moreover I attach for downloading here a lecture from Youtube.
Then from Zunal WebQuest Maker I include tasks of process from Ancient Rome Web Quest for giving a project instructions and organising team work for this project. Teacher evalutes them according to appropriate list.
The purpose of this WebQuest is to teach students how to work collaboratively together, to research pertinent information for a group project, to help student develop critical thinking and writing skills, and to implement social and behavior skills as well.  At the end of this lesson, students will know quite a lot about Ancient Rome, its people, and its civilization.

Fourthly I propose my own lesson with using one computer in the classroom. Objective: revision of grammar and listening to BBC NEWS - Tutankhamun was killed by malaria. Students learn new key vocabulary form authentic material and answer the questions about new scientific discovery. After that the group of 10 students are divided into 2 subgroups and begin to compete playing grammar games on the computer.
What's on top of this week is amasing task for seeking a partner. I never do such a task. It's quite new and I think interactive. My partner is Felipe Rodriguez.
To sum up I can conclude this week is very busy and useful. I imply all mentioned activities in my classroom.


 

1 комментарий:

  1. Hello Roza,
    Great feedback about what you are using from what you are learning. You are right when you say students learn to create. They do that. They learn by investigating in history, they are not only memorizing something, they look for the why? When? How? Things happened. They even analyze how could that event been different from what it was.

    It is more significant for them to know why we use ratio and not that it just existed. It is more meaningful for them to understand by hand why eruptions occure than repeating and memorizing the definition from a book.
    Your webquest I am sure is more interactive and interesting to students eye than an article or history book you may use with them. You can tell them or narrate the event but if they see something more dynamic they will remember details better. In Social Studies when you connect students to the past, to an event, to an issue, they see themselves there in the event. They are able to work actively by providing data you may even get surprised about. It was a great idea from you to have that on a webquest. I am still working on my zunal net, I am going to start using webquest, but my 4th grader students seem not to understand the process of using it now, so I need more time to keep practicing with them.
    I did something like a problem-solving last time I taught about the 3 main civilizations in Latin America. And I did a power point presentation with pictures of culture, tradition, achievements of Aztecs, Incas and Maya.

    I also asked them to do some research in internet to find something they considered incredible from any civilization. They also had a game of being at Machu Pichu to explore the Lost city and to recreate with their own ideas what happened 100 years ago when people discovered this amazing place. We had fun and kids even cooperate with the class by bringing some totems or sculptures their parents (3 kids had that experience) bought when they went on vacation to Guatemala and Peru. Kids were more encouraged to read the book and keep answering questions after these activities.

    Even a mother came to my class and she prepared a short lecture of the study of Maya calendar and we did a game to understand the spinning and connection Maya had about their conception of life in a circle.
    This is only one of the examples we use to make students being part of their own learning. I know they are not 100% independent yet but it is a process Roza.

    Thanks for a nice comment in your blog. It inspired me to talk!

    Regards,
    Yariela Cantarero

    ОтветитьУдалить